Friday, December 21, 2007

the folks.


yesterday was not only aidiladha,
but my parents' 25th wedding anniversary too.
and i can finally give them a lil surprise
now tt i've started working.

see, my parents are very simple ppl.
they prefer hajah maimunah to some
posh restaurant,
they prefer shopping at tanjong katong complex
than other shopping malls.
they dun like me to splurge on them,
but i have to admit tt i feel like spoiling
them silly all the time
becos of all the hard work they put in all this while.

so as a daughter, it WAS REALLY HARD for me
to buy anything or plan anything for them.
wad can i get my parents....
i was initially considering paying for a short
trip to malaysia, since they didnt get to go
to kl recently.
but of course, mum would NEVER want to go
without her WHOLE family which includes
my grandma, my siblings, my aunts and uncles.
so ok.
They would NEVER go to a spa.
They would never allow me to treat them to a meal
someplace nice.

so i told my parents
"go get ready by 6, den we go out"
in the car, i told them,
ok, go anywhere you want,
buy anything u like,
it's on me. (chey.. but tt's de ONLY way i can think of)

guess where mum asked dad to drive to?
GEYLANG.
(this, after them giggling away, saying tt they are
not used to all this, that there isnt a need to, bla bla)
and i went "geylang?! the shops are closed, ma"
but just to make her feel better, we took a trip there,
and yup, the place was closed.
not all, but just the places she wanted to go to.

so i said TAMPINES MALL den.
(cos my mum would prolly think i'm crazy
if i were to suggest orchard)
well, dad tried suggesting Vivo City,
but mum just went "NO".
hahaha.
she was reluctant to even go TM actually,
cos she said it's a plce for youngsters.
(yeay i am young)
but she agreed, albeit reluctantly, in the end.
so i was thinking of all the places i could bring her to -
mainly all the jewellery shops.
den i remembered sth - she HATES white gold.

thankfully, at TM, she saw POH HENG.
so she happily went in.
and asked me to choose a ring for her.
haha.
i hate gold. it's too makcik/aunty,
and there's no such thing as a nice design.
so i told mum "er, choose de ones tt don have
too many details la. it looks too... er. messy"
(i refuse to use the word aunty/makcik. haha)
so she chose this particular one, thick,
shiny and simple gold band with lining at the side.

when i asked for it, it feels heavy and solid in my hands.
i actually thought tt the design was not tt bad afterall.
so i paid for it, and heaved a sigh of relief.
next, dad.
no ring.
no clothes.
no watch.
no wallet.
okay, he doesnt want anything.
grrrr.
he was like... "hmmm. i dun noe. i dun need anything"
and i noe my dad hates to be pressurised for anything.
and he does look stuck, like having to choose sth he doesn want.
so i hugged him, and asked him if he would feel better
if i give him an ang pow, and he can decide by himself
wad he wants to get at his own time.

he readily agreed.
and looks so relievedddddd.

geez.
haha.

and next mth is my mum's birthday.
damnnnnnn.
any ideas?